Our vision for Connect Mentoring is to encourage and equip you as a volunteer to connect with young people in your local community or church and for them to build more positive relationships and lead more fulfilling lives. As well as delivering mentoring in local schools, once a year we deliver Connect Mentoring training. The training aims to:
- Introduce mentoring, and build a passion for using it to support young people; this might be in existing ministries with young people or joining in with work in schools
- Introduce a simple model for mentoring and practice using it
- Understand and practice using key mentoring skills
- Be motivated to make a personal change through the coach / mentoring you receive from others on the programme
- Help you decide whether mentoring young people in schools with CONNECT is for you at this time.
The workshop includes:
- Input on key topics from an experienced professional coach / mentor and youth worker; this is mainly through brief informal input and group discussion
- A demonstration of mentoring
- An opportunity to put learning into practice, through mentoring another person on the workshop; also experiencing what it’s like to be on the receiving end of mentoring through being mentored in return
Here is what a couple of those who have been trained told us following being part of the mentoring
“I personally want to thank Dan and Wiltshire YFC. The training day was fantastic, it was really practical and full of great tools to help engage with students. I can’t recommend the training day enough!”
“These first three weeks of mentoring have flown by and in the short time with my mentee I have already learned so much. I have discovered that it doesn’t matter how out of touch I feel, if you are interested in being there for someone it is very much appreciated and always worthwhile. It’s also interesting how my preparation has little to do with how the session will go. Open-mindedness is the key here, and learning to really listen to what is needed from me.”
Our next training event is Saturday 25th November at St Thomas’ Church Hall from 9am-4pm. Click here for the online booking form or fill out the form at the bottom of this page.
The suggested donation to help us cover the costs of the training are £20 per person. If you would like to find out more please click here to email us.